Saturday, December 15, 2012

Back to Bunk Beds

Remember the first time you slept in a bunk bed? There was so much wonder and excitement. You could jump from the bottom to the top like a trampoline. You could swing down from the top onto your friend. You could peek down from the top and ask your friend fifty times if he was asleep until he threatened to lock you in the attic. The world was your oyster. Unless you were allergic to shellfish, in which case the world was your non-allergenic food of choice. Do you remember the first time you slept in a bunk bed when you were twenty-two years old? It's fine. I'll wait for you to stop sobbing.

Seriously though, the only adults that still sleep in bunk beds are prison inmates. Now don't get me wrong, I am not one to complain. It's a bed. But if I can exercise freedom of speech, I will say that bunk beds bring back memories of my childhood. I was an only child so I never had bunk beds growing up, but my friends did. I always took the top bunk. It wasn't a status thing as much as it was a tactical thing. I figured that if my friend's room was overrun by some sort of danger, the top bunk would give me a more strategic location from which to attack or remain safe while screaming like a small girl.

One day when I have a job and a place of my own, I will invest in a bed that isn't part of a larger "bed ecosystem," but until then I will be happy and content to have a bed to sleep in comfortably. Sidenote: If you sleep over me on a bunk bed, I will kick you. Mercilessly. You have been warned.

No comments:

Post a Comment